A Word of Caution
It should come as no surprise that we often find ourselves talking to potential new fundholders or organizational accounts. It is also no surprise that the first thing we hear is how much more inexpensive the national discount brokerage firms philanthropic options are, and that they are going to use that low fee as their yardstick in making a decision. That may be a factor but I would urge extreme caution in making that the key factor. So what are the reasons for choosing the Dallas Jewish Community Foundation(DJCF) over a low cost brokerage’s foundation?
1. The Dallas Jewish Community Foundation is the financial and fiduciary backbone of the Dallas Jewish community. By creating a fund with DJCF you are investing in the Jewish community.
2. Over the years it was the assets of the DJCF that backed bonds allowing seven new or refurbished buildings in our community.
3. Our fees are among the lowest in the nation for both Jewish community foundations and secular community foundations.
4. Our administrative fees represent less than 1% of our assets under management.
5. Our staff are always available to assist fundholders in carrying out their philanthropic wishes.
6. Our Create a Jewish Legacy program has benefited every Jewish organization and synagogue in our community raising over $225,000,000 in legacy commitments. For this project we did not charge a single penny of fee.
7. We often explain to people that the big discount firms philanthropic platforms are fine if everything goes well. But if there is a problem watch out. Well that’s more than just talk. Over the past couple of months we have had to deal with several issues affecting our fundholders that necessitated our dialog with these companies. There were a series of very elementary mistakes made by the firms, literally hours on hold or being transferred from one department to another. It was a disaster.
8. Our fundholders and our agency accounts are family. Our customer service is unmatched. In the rare case you do have a problem you will talk to one staff member and they will get it resolved.
If you have an interest in philanthropy. If you have thought about a donor advised fund. If you would just like to talk please do call us. The DJCF is proud of who we are and what services we provide. In this past calendar year we distributed over $14,000,000 to non profits across the city and across the world. But that is only part of the story. These dollars represent children being educated, the hungry being fed, seniors being cared for, medical, cultural, and human needs being met every day.
In the end the $14,000,000 represents 14,000,000 acts of loving kindness. It represents our legacy for the future.